If you’re getting married, as your authorised Civil Celebrant, it’s my role to guide you through the legalities as defined by the laws of Australia in the Marriage Act 1961.


The first document, and the one that may be filled out together when we first meet, is the Notice of Intended Marriage, or referred to by those in the know as the ‘NOIM’. It needs to be submitted to me at least one month prior to the ceremony date.


If you’re coming from Overseas, I can send you details for you to complete and submit the NOIM to me in the required time.


Documents required to complete your NOIM:


  • Were you born in Australia? If so, please provide your original Birth Certificate or official extract of your certificate to show date and place of your birth (preferred). Or, please supply your current, valid Australian Passport.

  • Were you born overseas? If so, please show your original foreign Birth Certificate (preferred) or your Foreign Passport (and see following section on Interpreters).

  • Have you been married before? If so, I'll need to see an original Notice of Divorce or a Certificate of Death, if you are a widow or widower.

  • You will also need to provide photographic proof of identity and your full name on it must match the document you have provided me to prove date and place of birth e.g. driver's licence, a proof of age/photo card, an O/S passport or a Certificate of Australian Citizenship, along with another form of photographic evidence. 


Other documents that I’ll look after:


  • Prior to your wedding day, usually at the rehearsal, you’ll both be required to sign a Declaration of No legal Impediment to Marriage, which I will prepare and witness.

  • You must also have two (2) witnesses over the age of 18 years, who will witness the ceremony and can then sign the official certificates.

  • I’ll prepare three official certificates of marriage containing the details of your marriage. You and your witnesses will sign all three straight after the ceremony. They are:

  • The certificate in my Register, which I keep; 

  • The certificate I send to the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages to officially register your marriage;

  • And the certificate that I’ll give you as a record of your marriage. This is not the registered certificate required for you to change your name legally, you’ll need to apply for that at the Birth, Deaths and Marriages office after your wedding. But as always, we can discuss in more detail.




If your legal documents are in a language other than English, you’ll need to have them translated by a NAATI registered interpreter.


Additionally, if one of you does not speak English for the ceremony, a registered interpreter will need to be present to translate. This interpreter cannot be a party to the marriage, nor in connection with the ceremony. There are a few official forms the interpreter will need to sign before and after, but I’ll look after that.


Please confirm at the time of your booking if you will be required to source an Interpreter.


As always, if you’re unsure or have any questions, just give me a call or email, and I’ll look after the rest.